October 8-11, 2017
- What? A working retreat for writers and illustrators (aspiring, or published) with an interest in nature stories and a need to unplug. Faculty and guests include Kate Garchinsky, Julie Zickefoose, Laurence Pringle, Mary Colgan, Karen Boss, and Rob Bierregaard
- When? Sunday, October 8 at 5:00pm through Wednesday, October 11 at 1:00pm.
- Where? The Highlights Foundation
- Why? Because our work matters.
4/28 Philadelphia Science Festival Book Reading
- What: Star Party Storytime at John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum
- When: Friday, April 28, 2017 at 7:30pm
- Where: Visitor Center, USFWS John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum
8601 Lindbergh Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA, 19153 MAP
- Why: Come to storytime for a special nighttime reading of The Secret Life of the Red Fox by illustrator Kate Garchinsky. Join the biggest stargazing party in the region as area astronomers provide tours of the night sky that will unlock the wonders of the universe. First 20 kids receive a free fox poster! (Ltd 1 per household)
- How much? FREE
- Bring: Flashlights, bug spray, walking shoes, and kids… wear your PJs!
4/29 Book Reading and Nature Walk
- What: Storytime and Local Nature Walk
- When: Saturday, April 29, 2017 10am-12pm
- Where: Big Blue Marble Bookstore 551 Carpenter Lane, Philadelphia, PA 19119 MAP
- Why: Join local children’s author Anna Forrester (Bat Count) and illustrator Kate Garchinsky (The Secret Life of the Red Fox) for a special Earth Week storytime featuring local wildlife stories, followed by a nature walk in Carpenter’s Woods a few blocks away.
- How much? FREE
- Bring: walking shoes, and binoculars if you have them
5/12 Willistown Junior Birding Club Book Event
- What: The Secret Life of the Red Fox Book Signing and Art Workshop
- When: Friday, May 12, 2017 4:30-6:30pm
- Where: Rushton Woods Preserve, 911 Rushton Woods Preserve, Delchester Rd, Newtown Square, PA 19355 MAP
- Why: This charming children’s book gives a beautifully illustrated look into the lives of foxes. Illustrator, Kate Garchinsky, will give a drawing lesson at RWP, all kids will receive a signed copy of the book (to be included in registration fee). Must pre-register by April 28th with Blake Goll 610-353-2562, ext.20 or email@example.com. Or use the SignUp Genius website
- How Much? FEE (info coming soon)
- What’s the Junior Birding Club? Club Membership is $25/family for the year. Non-members pay on a per-program basis ($5 per child). Programs include birding trips, arts and crafts, bird banding, owl banding, butterfly and bat counts.