Educational STEAM Programs & Workshops for Schools, Libraries, Nature Centers, Art Centers, After-School Programs, Homeschooling Organizations
- Grades K-1: What Does the Fox Say? We’ll listen to real fox sounds and learn to imitate them. Then perform them during a reading of the full book. (30-45 min)
- Grades 1-3: The Cat-Like Canine Using basic shapes, colors and textures, students will learn how to draw a fox while observing the anatomical similarities between dogs, cats, and foxes. (30-45 min)
- Grades 4 and up: How I Became An Illustrator A rich presentation experience including a slideshow with photos and drawings from my childhood, and a short “art school” style drawing session. (45-60 min)
- Grades 4-6: The Science Detective How and why a natural science illustrator collects reference and images to help create accurate illustrations (and what happens if I skip the research phase). (45-60 min)
- Grades 6-12: The Evolution of an Illo Where do all those illustrations come from? How do I know how to draw what I draw? I’ll use one example illustration from one of my books to show the entire process, step-by-step, from note-taking, thumbnails, to final color art. (45-60 min)
- Ages 5+ and families: Guided Nature Walks Let’s go for a walk! After a book reading, we’ll go into the field searching for signs of wildlife—dens and nests, scat and pellets, cocoons, eggs, and chrysalides. Students will learn to use their nature journal to record their findings, keep data, and remember sensory details. Limited to 20 participants with adult supervision. A supply list will be provided in advance. Location-based and weather permitting. (60-90 mins)
- Have questions? Send me an email!
The Art and Craft of Nature Writing & Illustration
Discover nature and stories through guided observations, research, and mentoring.
- Portfolio Prep Are you preparing to apply to an art school or college? Do you need a professional portfolio for a children’s book conference? Contact me to get a quote on individual or group sessions with feedback and follow-up.
- Guided Nature Journaling My nature journaling workshops will give you the tools and insights needed to create engaging stories for children, or just for yourself. The benefits of drawing in the field are similar to the effects of meditation and mindfulness training.
- Creating a Picture Book Dummy Do you have a book idea? Dummy-making isn’t just for illustrators. Dummies are helpful writing tools for perfecting a story’s pacing and page turns. Bring your own manuscript or a classic fairy-tale and we’ll deconstruct and reconstruct using tape, scissors, paper, and pencils.
- Social Media for Writers & Illustrators Are you feeling pressure to start a Twitter account, a Facebook author page, an Amazon author page, or Instagram? Let me help you set it up, choose images for your headers and avatars, and take away the mystery of social media.
- I got a contract! What happens next? That’s what I wanted to know after I received my first book illustration offer. I’ll take you through my recent experiences with my first three books.
- Have questions? Send me an email